One of the top talks on TED.com from the TED conference last week right now is Blaise Aguera y Arcas's presentation of Bing's new augmented reality mapping system. It was an incredible demonstration of how live video can be used to augment the experience of looking at somewhere that the viewer is not.
In the talk, Blaise calls some friends who are at Pike's Market Place in Seattle who are providing live video from their iPhone. This video is overlaid the map on Bing, and is placed automatically to match the surrounding environment.
It's nice to have an idea of the kind of computing necessary to go into this, and while I'm very impressed by this, I'm honestly surprised this hasn't been implemented before. I would wager this has more to do with availability of streaming video than the aspects of image matching on the map. Regardless, it's an impressive sight.
This has many possibilities for future implementation. Trip planning, live meetings outside, and military operations come to mind. This is just one step closer to eye implants that are live updating images that are either in our vicinity or not. I welcome this.
Wednesday, February 17, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment